Thursday, June 10, 2010

tshirt hat

T-shirt Hat

Here is the tutorial for my t-shirt hat from my guest post on Ucreate.


Since soccer started a few weeks ago, I've been wanting a new hat to
hide my hair in the morning. I have a few hats already, but they are
too dark and heavy for spring. I was thrilled when I came up with this
solution and it actually worked.
All you need is an old t-shirt. I've cut several of my husbands ugly free t-shirts up this last week.
First
thing you need to do is cut a long strip 4" wide though both layer of
the shirt. The length will depend on the circumference of your head +
an inch for the seam. I cut mine to be 21-1/2" long. *By cutting
through both layers you should have two strips one on top of the other.
Now
you have to cut a circle for the top. This involves a little math.
Using your circumference you can find the diameter of the circle you'll
need to cut.
c=d x ∏ (3.14)
So
for example my circumference was 20.5" if I divide that by PIE the
diameter is ∼6.5"(knit stretches a little so it doesn't have to be
perfect). I added an inch to that as well for my seams. I drew and cut
my 7-1/2" circle using a compass. You could also use a string tied to a
pen or find a round object with the same diameter. Again I cut through
both layers giving me two rounds, one on top of the other. Once they
were cut, I sewed the two together with a 1/4" seam around the edge.
Next I sewed the two ends of my long strip together with a 1/2" seam, creating a very thin tube.
Then I pinned the circle to the top of my of my tube, with the seam on the outside.
I sewed around the top with a 1/2" seam, then flipped it right side out.
I made a pattern for the bill using a hat I already had. You can get the pattern HERE.
I cut two layers of the bill and inserted a piece of heavy weight
interfacing in between them. I made cut the interfacing to be a little
smaller than the bill.
Then I sewed around the edges. I added a few more layers of stitching to make it stronger, and I liked the way it looked.
Next
I inserted the bill in between the two layers of the cap. I lined up
the middle of the bill with the middle of the font. The bill was about
an inch and a half inside the bill when I pinned it in place. *Once it
was pinned I looked in the mirror to make sure I liked the length of
the bill. You can shorten it or pull it out more till you like it.
Now all that is left to do is sew around the base of the hat.
That's
it for the cap. It only took me 30 minutes to make my first one. I
consider myself a basic sewer and I had no problems. I love the look of
the raw edges and that I didn't have to do any hemming.
For
my embellishments I added flowers made with the extra pieces. I cut
long strips of the knit about 1-1/2 inch thick. I twisted them and then
rolled them like a lollipop.
I sewed them together by hand.
And then onto the cap.
Sometimes I get head aches from wearing a hat to long. This one was so comfortable I was able to wear it all day.
I'm kinda obsessed with making them.
I don't think I can ever get rid of an old t-shirt now.
The possibilities are endless. http://atsecondstreet.blogspot.com/search/label/sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment