Monday, November 15, 2010

christmas ornament shirt


I'll admit, I was really skeptical when I pulled the heat transfer material out of the packing box. I don't own a Silhouette machine, and I had a hard time imagining how even the most accomplished crafting diva would manage to create an intricate design using only scissors. Hmmm...

As I tried to think of something simple I might be able to pull off, Jen's Painted Ornament Pillows came to mind. Light bulb moment!

I bought a red, long-sleeved t-shirt from Wal-Mart's Garanimals line for $3.50, some permanent fabric glue, and some thin Christmas themed ribbon from Michaels. Time to get to work!

I found some ornament silhouette clip art photos through Google and printed them in different sizes using MS Publisher. This is where having an actual Silhouette machine would have been handy, but didn't ruin the project for me.

I placed my ornament cut outs on the unrolled heat transfer paper to trace and cut out (they give you quite a lot!):

Once I had the shapes cut out on the transfer paper, I peeled the plastic off and laid the shapes out with the clear paper over top.

I recommend using a thin (!) kitchen towel to lay over the clear paper when ironing...this ensures that the heat will adequately adhere your transfer paper to the shirt. The Silhouette directions said to hold the iron firmly in place for 45-60 seconds. I found that it took several passes before my shapes were all the way stuck on the shirt.

Hmm...kind of bland, huh?

Time for some bling! I eye balled ribbon and rhinestones, using fabric glue to press everything into place by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment